High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie (198 calories)
Grapefruit with Zero-Calorie Spiced “Sugar” (28 calories)
Super Popcorn-Kale Crumble (40 calories)
Salmon and Cucumber Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing (171 calories)
The Green Monkey (77 calories)
Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry (193 calories)
1 cup iceberg lettuce, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (29 calories)
Green Tea with Lemon and Basil (4 calories)
Fresh Raspberries with Sugar-Free Vanilla Cream (83 calories)
TOTAL CALORIES: 823 calories
High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie
Yield: Four 16-ounce servings
6 cups cold water
2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
2 scoops fiber powder (such as ReNew Life Triple Fiber)
2 scoops protein powder (such as Daily Benefit)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Hershey’s
24 packets monk fruit extract (such as Monk Fruit In the Raw; optional)
4 scoops unflavored egg-white powder (such as Jay Robb)
2 cups crushed ice or small ice cubes
1. Put the water, psyllium husk powder, and fiber powder in a blender and blend on high until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Turn the blender off and add the protein powder, cocoa, and monk fruit powder, if using; blend until smooth, about 30 seconds, and turn off the blender.
3. Add the egg-white powder and blend until smooth, about 10 seconds, then add the ice and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
4. Pour the smoothie into 4 pint-sized glasses.
Tip: Add a pinch of salt if your diet can afford the sodium-it will really draw out the full flavor of the cocoa.
Per serving: 198 calories, 2g fat (.25g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 30.75g protein
Nutrient content claims: Reduced calorie / Low fat / Low saturated fat / Cholesterol free / No added sugar / High fiber / High protein / Gluten free / Trans fat free
Calories Before: 499 /Calories After: 198
Fat Grams Before: 12/Fat Grams After: 2
GRAPEFRUIT WITH ZEROCALORIE SPICED “SUGAR”
Yield: 4 servings
2 large Ruby Red grapefruits, cut in half crosswise and flesh separated from membrane
11/2 tablespoons large-crystal sugar replacement (such as Lakanto)
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1. Place each grapefruit half cut side up in a serving bowl.
2. Mix the sugar replacement well with the ginger and cinnamon and sprinkle the spiced “sugar” evenly over each grapefruit half. Serve chilled.
Per serving: 28 calories, 0g fat (0g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 0.5g protein
Nutrient content claims: Low calorie / Fat free / Saturated fat free / Cholesterol free / Sodium free / No added sugar / Trans fat free / Gluten free
Calories Before: 392/Calories After: 28
Fat grams Before: 0.5/Fat grams After: 0
SALMON AND CUCUMBER SALAD WITH CREAMY DILL DRESSING
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (such as Fage Total 0%)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
6 cups store-prepared plain cucumber, onion, and cherry tomato salad (find it in the salad bar section or deli counter at the supermarket)
Salt and cayenne pepper
8 ounces canned no-added-salt sockeye salmon, drained
1. Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, and dill in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the cucumber salad, toss to coat the vegetables evenly, and season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
2. Divide the salad among four plates and top each with an equal amount of salmon.
Tip: Try using green or red hot sauce in place of the cayenne pepper for a little added zing.
Per serving: 171 calories, 4g fat (1 g sat), 25mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 17.5g carbohydrate, 1.5g fiber, 16g protein
Nutrient content claims: Reduced calories / Reduced fat / Low saturated fat / No added sugar / Low sodium / Trans fat free / Gluten free / High protein
Calories Before: 1105/ Calories After: 171
Fat Grams Before: 94/ Fat Grams After: 4
BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR-FRY
Yield: 4 servings
Olive oil cooking spray (such as Pam)
12 ounces grass-fed beef tenderloin, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cups frozen broccoli florets, defrosted
2 cups shirataki rice, rinsed and drained (such as Miracle Noodle – substitute a different shirataki product and chop it up if the rice cut is unavailable)
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons instant brown gravy (such as Knorr) mixed with
1 cup cold water
6 tablespoons reduced-sodium sugar-free teriyaki sauce (such as Seal Sama)
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with 2 seconds of cooking spray and place over high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Place half the meat in the skillet and brown one side evenly, about 1 minute. Remove the browned beef and set aside. Spray the skillet with 2 seconds of cooking spray and repeat with the remaining beef.
2. Spray the skillet with 2 seconds of cooking spray, then add the broccoli and rice and cook until all the water has evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the water-gravy mixture and teriyaki sauce to the pan and simmer until thickened to a sauce-like texture, about 10 seconds.
3. Season with salt and pepper, then divide the stir-fry among four bowls and serve.
Tip: Add some crushed red pepper flakes if you want to spice things up a bit.
Per serving: 193 calories, 4g fat (1.5g sat), 60mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 26g protein
Nutrient content claims: Reduced calorie / Reduced fat / Good source of fi ber / High protein
Calories Before: 720/Calories After: 193
Fat grams Before: 24/Fat grams After: 4
Recipes from THE POUND A DAY DIET by Rocco DiSpirito. Copyright © 2014 by Flavorworks, Inc. Used with permission by Grand Central Publishing. All rights reserved.